AWS keeps on adding up new services or enhancing existing services on regular basis. I have been very keen to know their latest updates and so do others too I believe.
I have summarized the updates for last one month and below are the highlights. I hope it will help you stay updated with the AWS world.
- Amazon Linux AMI 2017.09
This is the latest version of Amazon Linux AMI and it is available in all AWS regions now. The new AMI is highly stable, secure and high in performance. It is recommended to upgrade existing instances to leverage the enhancements in new AMI. Some of the noted features in this AMI are:
- Python 3.6 – The newest Python version is now included in this AMI.
- Ruby 2.4 – The latest version of Ruby is now available by default.
- HTTP/2 Protocol
And much more.
- Upcoming Regions
- AWS will be opening a new region in Middle East by 2019. It will be based in Bahrain, will be comprised of three Availability Zones.
- There is also a plan to open an edge location in the UAE. It is scheduled to be opened in 2018. It will host Amazon CloudFront,, Amazon Route53, AWS Shield and AWS WAF services.
As of today, AWS is running with 16 regions and 44 availability zones across the world.
- More updates on multiple services
Here are some of the recent enhancements announced.
- Monitoring for Cross-Region replication of S3 objects.
- Tags for spot instances.
- PCI DSS compliance for 12 more services.
- HIPAA eligibility for WorkDocs.
- VPC Resizing.
- AppStream 2.0 Graphic Design Instances.
- AMS Connector App for ServiceNow.
- Regtech in the Cloud.
- New & Revised Quick Starts.